Free of financial worries

If you are an employee, in order to compensate you for any loss of earnings during a longer period of illness or during maternity leave, your insurance provider will pay you sickness benefit, maternity benefit, and/or childcare benefit.

If you are registered as socially vulnerable, you may also be entitled to certain exemptions (e.g. exemption from payment of the prescription charge).

In emergencies, you may also be entitled to financial support from the support fund maintained by your health insurance provider.

Self-employed persons (tradesmen, farmers) are covered by the company support (Betriebshilfe) system or can take out voluntary additional insurance to cover themselves against this eventuality (only available to members of the Sozialversicherungsanstalt der gewerblichen Wirtschaft).

The regulations applying to civil servants/public sector workers provide for their financial support in emergencies.